January 15- March 27, 2021
Betty and Howard Taylor Main Gallery
140 E. Market St | Akron, Ohio
Call for Visual Art
Take your art in new directions using a FRESH perspective in the 17th annual juried FRESH exhibition. Art accepted as part of this annual exhibition must be innovative and challenging to both the viewer and the artist. Accepted artists will have pushed the boundaries of what art can be– stylistically, conceptually, or technically– and will challenge the viewer to see the world through a new lens. Accepted work will feature novel material, contemporary and unique conceptual thinking and demonstrate a high level of skill in the artist’s visual language. Work must have been created since January 1, 2020 and not previously displayed in Summit Artspace.
Art is not what you see, but what you make others see. - Edgar Degas
Deadline for Entry: December 20, 2020 Midnight
Entry Fee: $15
Drop Off: Sunday, January 10, 2021
Media: all media types
Opening Reception: Friday, January 15, 5-8 pm
Pick up: Sunday, March 28, 2021
Eligibility: The exhibition is open to artists who have a connection to Northeast Ohio. Must be at least 18 years old to enter. Artwork must be completed upon submission. Jurying will be done via digital image. Artists may submit one artwork piece per submission for consideration, and may submit up to three high quality digital images (.jpg, .pdf, .tiff. .png) of the artwork entered. Artists may submit up to three entries for consideration in the show, but each entry must be submitted separately. The images must accurately represent the finished work and accepted work must be professionally presented for exhibition (see notes below). Artist's name cannot be in the file name of digital images.
Submissions that include the artist’s name will be disqualified. Notification of the juror’s decision will be made via email by 11:59 pm on December 30. Accepted work must be delivered to the Main Gallery at Summit Artspace on E. Market on Sunday, January 10, 2021 during the hours of 10:00 am - 2:00 pm or 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm.
Juror's Bio: TBD
Please note changes to this section: Notes: Size and Weight Limits:
- Final installation size of 2-D work cannot exceed 4' (48") wide or 7' (84") high.
- 3-D work must not exceed 39" in diameter, nor may any single component of the work exceed 50 pounds.
- All wall mounted artwork must be wired with appropriate hardware for weight of piece, no saw tooth hangers
- Screws are not used for any installation
- All work must be identified (labelled) with the artist name and contact information when delivered.
Summit Artspace has a limited number of pedestals available. The artist maybe required to provide a special display fixture appropriate for the installation. Please note all display fixtures are subject to Summit Artspace approval. If submitting a triptych or diptych it must be: clearly labeled as so in the “Special Installation Requirements” section of the submission form, prepared as one piece of artwork with one wire, listed with one title, price, and artist statement, as well as fit within the size restrictions above. Suitability of works which must be suspended, require a power source, are between 35-50 pounds, are close to the size limitations or have other special installation requirements will be determined on an individual basis. Professional installation will be provided by Summit Artspace. Care will be taken when handling and displaying all artwork; however Summit Artspace waives responsibility for either damage or loss of artwork. If accepted you will be expected to gallery sit at least one shift (2-5 hours during gallery hours). Upon entering you will be emailed future call for art opportunities at Summit Artspace.
CALL TO ENTER
Solo | Duo | Group Exhibition Proposals for 2021 Season
We invite individuals, groups and curators to be considered in our 2021 exhibition schedule at Summit Artspace in one of our 5 gallery spaces at our 140 East Market Street location. We welcome new and exciting themes and are looking for a diverse range in skillsets, backgrounds, material and critical inquiry.
Open to artists of any experience, media and background. Must be 18+ for consideration.
Preference will be given to artists who have a connection to Northeast Ohio or proposals that include one artist who lives/works in Northeast Ohio, but is not required.
Artists must adhere to all guidelines provided by Summit Artspace staff, install and coordinate tear-down of exhibitions and be in-person available for installation.
Deadline for Proposals: December 30, 2020.
Deadline for Acceptance Notification: January 30, 2021.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
To provide the best programming for Summit Artspace's community, preference will be given to work that engages and employs diversity, equity and inclusion. We encourage artists including but not limited to different cultures, languages, sexual orientation, racial afflilations and abilities to apply as we hope to provide the most accessible and accommodating gallery space for all members in our community. Summit Artspace is committed to exhibiting, connecting, assisting and promoting artists without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, military and protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sex stereotyping, or disability.
Exhibition proposals will be reviewed by Summit Artspace staff. All applications will be reviewed and contacted by January 30, 2021 to determine if we have accepted your proposal. Some criteria that will be taken into consideration include media, quality of work, size and spatial needs, professionalism, connectivity and programming related to Summit Artspace and community and engagement with corresponding themes found in other exhibitions in Summit Artspace's schedule.
Various Information: Jurying will be done via Submittable by Summit Artspace staff. Artists may submit one proposal per year of exhibition calls. The images must accurately represent work and accepted work must be professionally presented for exhibition. Notification of the organization's decision will take place within one month of show proposals. If show is not accepted for 2021, we encourage artists to apply again in December for the next year. Summit Artspace has limited amount of exhibition spaces and will work with artists to fill certain spaces depending on their needs and interests. Accepted work must be installed on agreed dates. If artists are selected, they will be required to fill out a contract solidifying more details on the planned exhibition.
Please note that Summit Artspace is a non-profit gallery organization and that artwork exhibited in gallery that is for sale will abide to Summit Artspace's commission agreement, where 70% of proceeds are given to artist, 30% to the Summit Artspace organization.
All exhibition proposal applicants will be required to assist in marketing efforts, but Summit Artspace will agree to promote and assist with any promotional needs. Artwork must be completed upon installation of exhibition but should be in-process or finished upon submission. Artwork cannot have been previously displayed in a Summit Artspace related Gallery.
Size and Weight Limits:
· Final installation size of 2-D work cannot exceed 7' (84") high.
· 3-D work must not exceed 7' (84") high, nor may any single component of the work exceed 50 pounds.
· All wall mounted artwork must be wired with appropriate hardware for weight of piece; no saw tooth hangers. If wall mounted work absolutely cannot be wired, please let Summit Artspace know via email prior to install and in the “Special Installation Requirements” section of the submission form. If there are special installation requirements, the artist must provide necessary hanging devices (i.e. magnets).
· Screws are not typically used for any installation
· All work must be labelled with the artist's name and contact information (in any format)
· Summit Artspace has a limited number of pedestals available. The artist may be required to provide a special display fixture appropriate for the installation (if necessary).
· No singular piece shall exceed 10 nail holes for installation.
· Please note all displays are subject to Summit Artspace approval.
· Suitability of works which must be suspended, require a power source, are between 35-50 pounds, are close to the size limitations or have other special installation requirements will be determined on an individual work basis.
· Professional installation will be provided by Summit Artspace. Care will be taken when handling and displaying all artwork; however Summit Artspace waives responsibility for either damage or loss of artwork.
· If accepted you will be encouraged to gallery sit at least one shift (2-5 hours during gallery hours).
· Upon entering you will be emailed future call for art opportunities at Summit Artspace.
· We cannot accept artwork that is shipped, nor can we ship artwork.
Questions or concerns? Please email email@example.com.