April 5 - May 18, 2024
140 E. Market St | Akron, Ohio
Call for Visual Art: Summit Artspace is thrilled to announce the third annual StarBurst juried high school senior exhibition. StarBurst 2024 is open for participation to all Summit County High Schools. A jury composed of visual arts educators will grant participants with various awards. Cash prizes will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prize recipients. Additionally, Myers School of Art will offer a $500 scholarship to one lucky participant.
Deadline for Entry: Friday, March 1, 2024
Notifications of Acceptance: Friday, March 8, 2024
Drop Off Dates: Friday, March 22 from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday, March 23 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Opening: Friday, April 5, from 5 - 8 p.m., 2024. The event is open to the public and participants are encouraged to attend. Awards will be announced on the 3rd Floor of Summit Artspace at 6 p.m.
Eligibility: The StarBurst exhibition is open to all Summit County High Schools. Each participating school will be able to enter up to (5) artworks from their senior class. Schools are responsible for choosing the artworks to submit, as well as dropping off and picking-up artworks. Decisions regarding the acceptance of submitted works is at the discretion of Summit Artspace.
Please Note: To minimize removing artworks during the run of the exhibition, work with your students to ensure that they will not need artworks for other opportunities in advance of submitting them for the show.
Dara Harper, Artist & Owner of Art Only Boutique; Co-Founder of the Akron Black Artist Guild
Drew Ippoliti, Artist and Faculty member at University of Akron’s Myers School of Art in the Ceramics Department
Awards: Awards will be announced during the opening reception on April 7th, 2023 at 6:00 p.m. All exhibiting artists as well as family, and friends are welcome to attend.
First Place: $200
Second Place: $100
Third Place: $50
Honorable Mention (4)
Best in Technical
Best Use of Media/Material
Best in 3D
The Myers School of Art will award one $500 scholarship to a participant of this exhibition who will be graduating this Spring 2023. The winner will be selected by a Myers representative and will be disbursed once the student is a confirmed art major at The University of Akron for the following academic year (2023-24). This award would be in addition to any other awards they may be eligible for from The Myers School of Art / The University of Akron.
- Please complete one submission form per artwork
- Up to 5 artworks per school, If more than 5 are submitted only up to 5 will be selected.
- Artwork submitted cannot be previously displayed at Summit Artspace.
- You may upload up to three images per piece of art to showcase different angles or details, accepted file types are JPEG and PNG.
- School contact/ instructor will be responsible for submitting, dropping off, and picking up artwork.
- We cannot accept artwork that is shipped, nor can we ship artwork.
- All visual media will be accepted.
- Though framed pieces are preferred, we understand framing is difficult to acquire, if a work is framed it must have a wire or hanging mechanism on back. Unframed work will be permitted, with matting preferred. Matting the artwork makes it easier to hang and will better ensure the safety of the piece. Unmated pieces will be allowed if necessary. The jurying of the work will not be based on framing/ matting.
- All canvas work should have a wire hanging for the back.
- Dimensions should not exceed 48" x 48" x 48."
- Pedestals are available for 3D works.
- Unique installations should come with detailed descriptions for install.
- Professional installation will be provided by Summit Artspace. Care will be taken when handling and displaying all artwork; however Summit Artspace waives responsibility for either damage or loss of artwork.