Overdose Awareness Exhibition
August 31 – September 16, 2023
Summit Artspace, Third Floor Gallery
140 E. Market St., Akron, OH 44308
In honor of Overdose Awareness Day, visual artists in Summit County and contiguous counties (Cuyahoga, Geauga, Medina, Portage, Stark, Wayne) are invited to submit artworks about their own experience with overdose or in honor of a loved one who passed from an overdose. Artists working in all visual media are eligible to apply. There is no entry fee to apply.
· Deadline for Entry: July 21 at 11:59 p.m.
· Notification of Acceptance: August 4
· Artwork Drop-off: August 25 at Noon—7 p.m. & August 26 at 11 a.m.—5 p.m.
· Exhibition Opening: August 31 TIME TBD
· Artwork Pick-up: September 18 at 11 a.m.—2p.m. & 4—6 p.m.
International Overdose Awareness Day is the world’s largest annual campaign to end overdose, remember without stigma those who have died and acknowledge the grief of the family and friends left behind. The campaign raises awareness of overdose, which is one of the world’s worst public health crises and stimulates action and discussion about evidence-based overdose prevention and drug policy. The campaign also acknowledges the profound grief felt by families and friends whose loved ones have died or suffered permanent injury from a drug overdose. International Overdose Awareness Day spreads the message about the tragedy of drug overdose death and that drug overdose is preventable.
This exhibition is sponsored by Summit County Public Health, The Opiate and Addiction Task Force, and the Summit County ADM Board.
Size and Weight Limits:
- Final installation size of 2-D work cannot exceed 4' (48") wide or 7' (84") high.
- 3-D work must not exceed 39" in diameter, nor may any single component of the work exceed 50 pounds.
- All wall mounted artwork must be wired with appropriate hardware for weight of piece, no saw tooth hangers.
- All work must be identified (labelled) with the artist name and contact information when delivered.
Summit Artspace has a limited number of pedestals available. The artist may be required to provide a special display fixture appropriate for the installation. Please note all displays are subject to Summit Artspace approval. Suitability of works which must be suspended, require a power source, are between 35-50 pounds, are close to the size limitations or have other special installation requirements will be determined on an individual basis. Professional installation will be provided by Summit Artspace. Care will be taken when handling and displaying all artwork; however Summit Artspace waives responsibility for either damage or loss of artwork. Upon entering you will be emailed future call for art opportunities at Summit Artspace.