The Art of Y
Juried Art Exhibition
Summit Artspace on E. Market - Main Gallery
April 9 - June 26, 2021
Summit Artspace is collaborating with the Y to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Akron Area YMCA. For this exhibition we invite artists to create pieces that include the letter “Y” in any way whether it is literal, hidden or abstract. Show us your Y story.
For 150 years, the Akron Area YMCA has been a strong place to launch and a safe place to land. From the highest quality rated Early Care & Education to the Super Senior Series, the Y has been a place for people to find their community, while finding themselves. The Y’s mission is to strengthen communities and they have done so with swimming, sports, healthy living programs, mentor programs with area schools, before and after care, camps, and social responsibility.
First Place $200
Second Place $100
Third Place $50
Winning pieces will be invited to be on display at the Y’s Gala in August 2021.
Deadline for entry: March 20, 2021 at midnight
Entry Fee: $15 per entry, up to three separate entries
Media: Open to all medias
Juror: Sharon Mazgaj
Notification of Acceptance: March 23, 2021 by midnight
Drop off: March 29, 2021
Opening Reception: April 9, 2021**
Pick up: June 28, 2021
*It is the intention of Summit Artspace to display this exhibition in our galleries. However, depending on government directives at the time of execution the show may be displayed virtually. If the show is displayed in our galleries as planned, the reception will be adapted as needed to follow all health and safety guidelines. More information to come.
Eligibility: The exhibition is open to artists residing in or attending school in the following Ohio counties: Summit, Cuyahoga, Medina, Stark, Wayne and Portage. Must be at least 18 years old to enter. Artwork must be completed upon submission. Artwork cannot have been previously displayed in a Summit Artspace related Gallery.
Various Information: Jurying will be done via digital image. It is $15 per submission up to three submissions (each submitted separately). Artists may submit up to three high quality digital images (.jpg, .pdf, .tiff. .png) of each submission (to show framing, different angles, cropped to show more detail, etc.). The images must accurately represent the finished work and accepted work must be professionally presented for exhibition (see notes below). Artist's name cannot be in the file name of digital images. Submissions that include the artist’s name will be disqualified. Notification of the juror’s decision will be made via email by 11:59 pm on March 23, 2021. Accepted work must be delivered to the Main Gallery at Summit Artspace on E. Market on Monday, March 29, 2021.
Size and Weight Limits:
· Final installation size of 2-D work cannot exceed 4' (48") wide or 7' (84") high.
· 3-D work must not exceed 39" in diameter or 7' (84") high, nor may any single component of the work exceed 50 pounds.
· All wall mounted artwork must be wired with appropriate hardware for weight of piece; no saw tooth hangers. If wall mounted work absolutely cannot be wired, please let Summit Artspace know via email prior to drop off and in the “Special Installation Requirements” section of the submission form. If there are special installation requirements, the artist must provide necessary hanging devices (i.e. magnets).
· Screws are not typically used for any installation
· All work must be labelled with the artist's name and contact information when delivered (in any format)
· Summit Artspace has a limited number of pedestals available. The artist may be required to provide a special display fixture appropriate for the installation (if necessary).
· No singular piece shall exceed 10 nail holes for installation.
· Please note all displays are subject to Summit Artspace approval.
· If submitting a triptych or diptych it must be: clearly labeled as so in the “Special Installation Requirements” section of the submission form, information must include desired measurements between components, each component must be wired, and the work must be listed with one title, price, and artist statement, as well as fit within the size restrictions above.
· Suitability of works which must be suspended, require a power source, are between 35-50 pounds, are close to the size limitations or have other special installation requirements will be determined on an individual basis.
· Professional installation will be provided by Summit Artspace. Care will be taken when handling and displaying all artwork; however Summit Artspace waives responsibility for either damage or loss of artwork.
· If accepted you will be expected to gallery sit at least one shift (2-5 hours during gallery hours).
· Upon entering you will be emailed future call for art opportunities at Summit Artspace.
· All jurying is blind and if artists contact the juror in regards to their piece(s) from the time of submission to the announcement of winners, artists shall be subject to disqualification from this and future exhibitions. Signatures on artwork will be covered for final jurying to ensure blindness of juror.
Questions or concerns? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.