Call for BIPOC Artists:
Summit Artspace invites local BIPOC artists to apply for a funded solo exhibition. The organizational goal behind this exhibition is to actively undo systems of oppression and domination present in the art world. Summit Artspace is interested in the many ways in which BIPOC artists impact our communities through their art. The exhibition is dedicated to– but is not limited to – uncovering the following themes:
· Exploring and advancing meaningful BIPOC narratives
· Recontextualizing traditionally white-dominated genres to give new meanings
· Restoring hope by envisioning a world where social justice has taken hold
· Building support for social change, equity, and inclusion
· Exposing and denouncing injustices to marginalized communities
· Investigating new ideas and genres to transform viewer perceptions
Eligible artists will be Black, Indigenous, or a Person of Color; they will live in Summit County, or surrounding counties and express an interest of making an impact through their artwork. Through a blind-juried process, one artist will be selected to receive a stipend of $1,000 in support for the creation of a solo exhibition in Summit Artspace’s 3G Gallery during the 2022 Spring Exhibition Season. All types of visual artists are welcome to apply for this opportunity.
The exhibition is funded in part through general operating support from Ohio Arts Council, Akron Community Foundation, and GAR Foundation.
Dara Harper | Owner and Artist at Art Only Boutique; Commission Secretary for City of Akron Public Art Program; Co-Founder of Akron Black Artist Guild
J. Leigh Garcia | Artist; Print Media and Photography Professor at Kent State University
Application Opens: October 1, 2021
Application Deadline: December 15, 2021
Notification of Acceptance: January 15, 2022
Public Announcement: January 30, 2022
Exhibition: April 9 – June 25, 2022
Guidelines and Information:
· Size and weight of final artwork should be easily portable and manageable. If there are special installation requirements, the artist may need to provide necessary hanging devices. Summit Artspace is able to provide basic install supplies. Pedestals and display monitors have limited availability.
· The 3G Gallery is located on the third floor of Summit Artspace; it has 4 walls for display measuring approximately 34 feet by 26 feet with 11 foot high ceilings.
· Please note all final displays are subject to Summit Artspace approval.
· Upon entering, you will be emailed future calls for art from Summit Artspace.
· We cannot accept artwork that is shipped, nor can we ship artwork.